in Surgical Assistant
Surgical assistants (SA) are allied health practitioners who provide aid in exposure, wound closure, bleeding control, and other intraoperative technical functions that help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results. The surgical assistant performs these tasks in accordance with hospital policy and appropriate laws and regulations.
The Surgical Assistant training program prepares students to become surgical first assistants to work skillfully under the supervision of surgeons. The program curriculum includes surgical principles and procedures, patient care, lab skills, pharmacology, and instrumentation. Students are trained to anticipate the needs of the surgical team and assist with tasks such as selecting equipment, holding open incisions, stopping bleeding, and closing the incision, among many other technical tasks.
Program Learning Outcomes
The Stellar Career College’s Surgical Assistant diploma aims to equip students with basic and fundamental knowledge of surgical procedures.
The students of Diploma in Surgical Assistant will:
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the roles, limitations, rules, and ethical aspects of the surgical assistant
- Acquire surgical knowledge and skills in terms of infection control and wound healing to achieve the best possible outcomes
- Clearly understand how various surgical procedures work in verbal form
- Develop know-how to provide preoperative skills such as assessing patient information and preparing patients for surgery
- Understand preoperative tests (such as EKG, EEG, EMG, lab values, and diagnostic imaging), while also being well-versed in safety precautions, biopsy results, positioning, and draping procedures
- Develop proficiency in intraoperative skills including visualization, trocar insertion, injection of local anaesthetics, hemostasis, tissue handling, wound drain placement as well as securing, and body plane closure
- Acquire expertise in postoperative patient care, including the dressing application, patient transport, exchange of care and vigilant monitoring for immediate complications and side effects
Program Career Opportunity
The Stellar Career College’s certified surgical first assistant programs Indiana open a wide array of opportunities for students that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Surgical Assistant
- Endoscopy Surgical Assistant
- Veterinarian Surgical Assistant
- Dental Assistant – Surgical Assistant
- Surgical Assist, Cardiothoracic
- Surgical Assistant – Operating Room
- Physician Assistant Cardiothoracic Surgical Assist
Program Course Breakdown
Surgical Assistant Program will include the following courses:
Technical Courses – 54 Quarter Credits Hours
Program Class Schedule
Virtual Session: Tuesday – 11:00 AM and Wednesday – 5:00 PM
August: 22, 23, 29, 30
September: 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, 27
October: 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25
Mondays 5:00 – 9:00 PM
Wednesdays 5:00 – 9:00 PM
Thursdays 5:00 – 9:00 PM
Virtual Meet and Greet: Tuesday, October 10, 2023, 5:00 PM
Tentative Start Date: Week of October 30, 2023
Program Admission Requirements
Prospective students must provide proof of completion or hold a credential as a surgical technologist (ST), nurse, LPN/LVN, physician, medical doctor, or other allied healthcare professional before enrolling in the Surgical Assistant diploma program. This verification must come from either a surgeon or an operating room educator and must confirm the student’s proficiency in operating room work.
- Enrollment is open to students every day of the week. They will also be notified about the start date after confirmation of their registration.
- Applicants are required to submit a high school diploma, General Education Diploma (GED), a college transcript, or an equivalent certificate.
Applicants must fill out and sign an enrollment agreement that outlines their obligations toward the institute.